Skip to main content

The Other Side of the Interview

Next week I'm being interviewed by Curious Parents Magazine. I'm very excited, but also slightly nervous. I've been interviewed for publications a few times in the past, mostly as a senior in high school. However, that was before I got my journalism degree, became a freelance writer, and learned some interview tricks. Now, I can't help but try to anticipate potential questions and think of answers, though I'm trying to stop myself. The main reason being that an interview is essentially a conversation. When I have worked as a reporter, I almost never wrote questions down ahead of time, and so as an interviewee I would just want it to be natural as well. However, I can't help but wonder if some of my own interview tactics will be used. It will be weird to be on the other side.

As I try not to think too hard about my future interview, I thought it would just be fun to post my two favorite interview tactics as the reporter. (Aside from the obvious, of course, like ask appropriate questions and take good notes!)

Tactic #1: When I first started out doing phone interviews and taking notes on my computer, I would often write down a good quote and stop and listen for more. Apparently, that scared people, though. "Uh oh. You stopped typing," some people would actually say. My solution? Always type no matter what. If someone says a great quote and then says something that's definitely not going in whatever I'm writing, I certainly don't stop. Sometimes my notes would look like the following: "I'm really proud of the kids and how they pulled together to help this family in need. hisjkdjfkgui jkfdjsakj fdkjakflds. ajskjfa. We're expecting a bigger turnout this year than in any other year." By doing this, the sound of me typing just creates a kind of background noise that hasn't seemed to intimidate people nearly as much as when I'd start and stop. Plus, I have really entertaining notes afterward!

Tactic #2: You're doing an in-person interview, pen and notebook in hand. Someone gives you a great quote, but it's really long and if you don't stop them talking about other things, you might forget what it was you were originally writing as you try to capture the other things they're saying! What do you do? Ask them a question that you don't feel like knowing the answer to. In this way, you don't miss anything while you finish writing their long quote. Also, you don't encounter a really awkward pause if they stop talking and just stare at you uncomfortably as you finish writing the original quote. This can happen all too easily!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop By and Say Hello!

 

I'll be reading from Because She Fell Asleep!

 

Cover Art for My Upcoming YA Murder Mystery